University of Baltimore
Merrick School of Business
Assignment 4: TCP/IP information from a PC
From a PC running Windows at one of the UB open computer labs, at home, or office:
When you are done write a report in Word with the answers to the above
questions and save it in RTF (Reach Text Format) and post it in SAKAI
Assignments folder, for Assignment 4.
- find the IP address, FQDN, subnet mask and default gateway for the machine (use IPConfig to obtain this information).
- what do the subnet mask number you found tells you about
how many IP numbers (machines) can be used in the machine subnet? Hint:
see this slide or use the IP Subnet Calculator to check it.
- can you use a graphical applet in Windows to obtain the
above information at one of the UB open computer labs, at home or
office? If you can, capture an image. If you can't, explain why. Note:
to capture an image you need a piece of software to do so. You can find
a free one at Nonags.
- to what class does the IP address you found belongs to (A,B or C)? Explain.
- find the MAC address of the machine and explain the difference between MAC and IP addresses.
- what type of NetBios over TCP/IP node does it uses? Explain what it means (hint: see this slide).
- ping the gateway and home.ubalt.edu to test if there is TCP/IP connection. Capture the results.
to copy from the command prompt to an Windows application click on the
C:\ symbol in the left-most top-most area of the command prompt and
select edit, mark. Move your mouse and highlight the selection. Click
again on the C:\ symbol and select edit, copy.
- from a PC running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS at one of the PCs at the MIS
Lab, home, or office find the IP address, MAC address, subnet mask and
default gateway for the machine (use ifconfig at the terminal window to
obtain this information).
- the network information in the PC running Ubuntu are saved in which files(hint look at this page)? Copy these files to a text file.
- what is the difference between a static and a dynamic IP
address? Do you need a server to use dynamic IP numbers? Which one? In
what cases would you use fixed IP numbers? Why?
This page is maintained by Al Bento who can be reached at email@example.com
This page was last updated on September 2, 2014. Although we will
attempt to keep this information accurate, we can not guarantee the
accuracy of the information provided.