CSMA/CA+ACK in 802.11 Wireless LANs
CSMA/CA (Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Avoidance)
- Sender listens for traffic
- 1. If there is traffic, the sender waits
- 2. If there is no traffic:
- 2a. If there has been no traffic for less than a present amount of time, waits a random amount of time, then returns to Step 1.
- 2b, If there has been no traffic for more than a preset amount of time, sends without waiting
- This avoids collision that would result if hosts could transmit as soon as one host finishes transmitting