Setting static IP addresses
- Go to Control Panel and select Network and Dial-up connections
- In the first time select Make New Connection, local area network.
- After the first time right-click on Local Area Connection and select properties.
- In both cases you will see the properties dialog, which allows you to install/uninstall client, service or protocol.
- Select the Internet Protocol and click on properties
- Fill in IP number, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DNS
- Use ping to test your setup.
- Dynamic IP addresses: use DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), which requires a server in another machine.