Merrick School of Business
Mini-projects are due Sundays by 11 PM.
Managing users in Windows and Linux
Go to the MISLAB. Log as Administrator in your group WinXP "machine", like you did in mini-project 1 and:
Restart your machine. When the machine restarts select Linux and log in the group Linux account in your group "machine" as you did in mini-project 2. In this mini-project you will need root (administrative) privileges. You will need to use the command sudo to login as root, when needed, using the group regular password. See an example on how to use sudo here.
- Check the basic security of your WinXP installation. Explain and show me what you did. Be sure that the guest account is disabled, that the group Everybody has no directory privileges or permissions, or at most read only permissions. Check the account policies (local policies) and be sure that passwords are required with at least 7 digits, that after 10 bad logon attempts the user has to wait for one hour to try again, and that users must logon to change password. Show me the changes you made.
- Create accounts for each group member (each one should do it) and assign a home directory for each one (create it if needed). Give administrator privileges to each member. The accounts should not expire, but password needs to be changed in the first login. Show me what you did.
- Create a group "Project" and assign at least three rights to this new group (in your report indicate the rights you assigned). (Hint: open Computer Management, select Local Users and Groups, Groups and right-click and add a new group, then go to Local Security Settings and Assign User Rights to new group). Make the members of your group a member of the Project group. Show me!
- Each group member should login and customize his/her account, including background, screen saver, place some icons in the desktop, etc. Show me each desktop.
- Write this part of the report in MS Word, including images and save to a file: mp3part1.doc .
- Open a browser, go to WebTycho and post this file in your group area to be used later in the assignment.
Create an account for the each group member and assign a home directory for it (you can accept the default). You can use the shell prompt or the graphical interface to do so
- Create a group "Project" and make all your individual accounts members of the Project group, also add the group account you created to the Project group. (Hint: it may be easier to use the default group and
then change group)
- Each group member should login and customize his/her account, including
background, screen saver, place some icons in the desktop, etc. Please show me.
- Create this part of the report using OpenOffice in a Word compatible format and save it in a Word compatible format in the group account as mp3part2.doc .
- Open Firefox in Linux, go to your group area and download the report you wrote in Word for the first part of this assignment (mp3part1.doc) to the same directory you saved the second part of the report.
- Finally, put the two parts together (mp3part1.doc and mp3part2.doc) and prepare the final report (Windows plus Linux user management). Save the report in MS Word format as mp3.doc and post it in the Mini-project 3 entry of the Assignments folder of one of the group members in WebTycho.
This page is maintained by Al
Bento who can be reached at email@example.com
This page was last updated on January 24, 2007. Although we will attempt
to keep this information accurate, we can not guarantee the accuracy of
the information provided.