File and directory basics
- File concepts
- filenames: up to 14 digits, one word including _ and .
- e.g.: test_program and sales.report.1
- case sensitive bold is not BOLD
- types: ordinary, directories, special devices and links
- pathnames: /home/abento/select.html
- common names: usr, users, bin, etc
- full and relative
- Basic file commands in UNIX
- How to obtain a directory listing: ls and ls -al
- How to create, remove, change to, and present working directory.
- mkdir , rmdir , cd , pwd.
- How to copy, move, delete, type.
- Use cp , mv , rm -i , cat