- Static - maintained by network manager (NT)
- Dynamic - automatically by routing protocol
- required for socket applications (FTP, HTTPD, MAIL)
- DNS service, dynamic link to WINS but requires manual updating of central route table , RIP takes care of the rest (NT). DHCP automatically updates DNS in Windows 2K on
- DNS data base: boot (where are the files), arpa-127.rev (maps localhost into 127.0.0.1), cache (where the “root servers” are located in the Internet), direct and reverse lookup table of names and IP numbers .
- Primary and secondary name servers: one of each by zone.