Using Redundant Hardware
A key principal in preventing disruption, destruction and disaster
Examples of components that provide redundancy
- Uninterruptible power supplies (UPS)
- A separate battery powered power supply
- Can supply power for minutes or even hours
- Some run on generators.
- Fault-tolerant servers (with redundant components)
- Disk mirroring
- A redundant second disk for every disk on the server
- Every data on primary disk is duplicated on mirror
- Disk duplexing (redundant disk controllers)
Can apply to other network components as well
- Circuits, routers, client computers, etc.