This is the general index for my Linux pages. You will find here local tutorials, software links, and references to specific Linux topics. This page was created in the Fall of 1999 and is in continuous development.|
- Red Hat main page: the main distributor of Linux together with Caldera and SUSE.
- Red Hat Contributed ftp archive for updates and new applications
- Freshmeat directory of Linux applications
- Linus Applications directory of Linux applications.
- Linuxnow Library directory of Linux applications.
- K Desktop Environment (KDE)- a popular GUI for Linux
- Corel WordPerfect 8 for Linux - same as the wordprocessing part of the WordPerfect Office in Windows. Reads and saves files that can be used both in Linux and Windows.
- Star Office - a Microsoft Office clone for Linux including spreadsheet, wordprocessor, graphical presentation, e-mail, database, etc.
- GNU Image Manipulation program (GIMP)- photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. Part of Red Hat and many other distributions.
- Xv - the basic graphical editor in UNIX and Linux. Part of Red Hat and many other distributions.
- XDir a graphical ftp client, allows you to connect to more than a host at a time. For more details see my tutorial above on installing basic applications.
- Netscape 4.5x - download and compile from source. RPMs are only available for 4.0.x.
- Pine 4.x - a semi-graphical e-mail client supporting the IMAP protocol. It can be used behind a proxy/firewall. For a full graphical e-mail client use Netscape Mail. There is a K e-mail client (part of the KDE download) that uses POP and is not proxy/firewall compatible -- fine if you do not use IMAP and a proxy/firewall.
- AsWedit an HTML editor.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Real Player: 5.0 or G2.
- Apache Web server
- Muquit's Count CGI program.
- G2 RealServer audio and video streaming
- SAMBA - interoperability between Linux and Windows.
- TkSmb - a graphical tool to manage shares (equivalent to network neighborhood in Windows) and allow mounting shares from Windows in Linux.
- MySQL - a multi-user, multi-threaded SQL database server available free for Linux and for fee for Windows. The clients in both cases are free.
- Virtual Network Computing (VNC) - graphical remote login in Linux from Windows, and in Windows from Linux.
This page is maintained by Al Bento
who can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. This page was last updated on June 12, 1999. Although we will attempt to keep this information accurate, we can not guarantee the accuracy of the information provided.