Psyc 320 Industrial and Organizational Psychology
Project: Organizational Consultant: Application of I/O Theory and Findings
This will be a semester-long project in which you will select a job of interest to you and demonstrate how theory and findings from I/O research can be used to improve the efficiency effectiveness and worker satisfaction for workers performing this job.
Acting as a work and organizational psychologist, construct a report to management to show how the application of sound I/O principles can benefit the organization by insuring that employees will perform the job effectively and efficiently to support the organization’s mission.
First, choose a job of interest to you, perhaps one that you have performed, or one you would like to learn about. As we cover topics throughout the semester, you will be asked to show how what we learn can be applied to the job you select.
Requirements for paper content and format: (Rubrics for course credit: 25% of course grade)
1. Use APA style for technical writing and references.
2. Length of paper: not more than ten pages SINGLE spaced (about 500 words a page, or total of 5000 words (references and tables/figures not included.
3. Carefully written, edited and proofread
4. Quality of references for each chapter (about 2-4 per chapter that are not cited in Muchinsky text)
Sections for paper:
a. Title (to reflect “application of I-O theory and findings to the job of …”your job”
b. Executive Summary See: How to write an executive summary (pdf file)
c. Introduction to explain how and why I/O theory and principles are useful to organization. Cite references to support your reasons.
d. Use a subtitle for each topic (chapter) to be included. Start with the job you have chosen and explain how it fits into the organization
3. For each topic explain what was done, why it was done (purpose), and how it is expected to benefit the organization. For example, a valid test battery will (1) select the most qualified applicants, (2) improve overall worker productivity, (3) avoid legal liability for unlawful discrimination, and (4) is likely to reduce turnover in that job class.
Starting with Chapter 3 Criteria: Standards for Decision Making (pp 65-78 Work Analysis), you will conduct a job analysis for the job you have selected.
From each of the Chapters below (Muchinsky text) you will apply what you learn to the job you selected, and include in your report describing how you would do this.
Chapters for inclusion (3 ,4 ,6,7,10, 12, 13)
Chapter 3 Criteria: Standards for Decision Making
1. Conduct a job analysis (or work analysis) to identify the essential job duties/tasks, and SKAOs that are needed to perform the job. Find the closest O*Net job description
2. Identify at least two criteria, one objective, and one subjective that could be used to measure work performance
Chapter 4 Predictors: psychological assessments
1. Provide a rationale for at least three predictors that could be used for selecting applicant for the job.
2. Identify at least two existing tests that could be valid for use in selection
3. Devise and describe a validation strategy to determine if the tests will be useful in selection, and provide a rationale for why it should be used for your job.
Chapter 6 Organizational Learning
1. Construct a training and development program for workers entering this job.
2. Design a way to determine if the training is effective in preparing workers to perform the job well.
Chapter 7 Performance Management
1. Construct a performance appraisal that will be useful in assessing work performance for both administrative and developmental purposes.
Chapter 10 Organizational Attitudes and Behavior
1. Describe specifically what management must do to insure that workers performing your job will be committed to performing well, engaged, and motivated.
2. Be sure to provide research studies to support your position.
Chapter 12 Motivation
1. Identify at least two motivational that would be useful in understanding what would motivate them to work hard.
2. Explain how they would be applied in this specific situation.
Chapter 13 Leadership
1. Identify the best leadership approach that should be used for managing workers in your job.
2. Consider the nature of the job, such as the autonomy level, organizational context, and how it fits into the organizational structure.