Appl 651 Job Analysis
Job Analysis Project
See: Brannick et al: http://www.jobandworkanalysis.com/
This project is intended to give you an opportunity to synthesize the content of this course, and get some hands-on experiences with course concepts. You will conduct a job analysis for a job of your choice (or one assigned)
Instructions for the preparation of your Job Analysis Report and your PowerPoint Presentatiion to the class
PLEASE NOTE: in your executive summary AND YOUR PPT PRESENTATION you MUST include:
1. Organization (brief description)
2. Job you analyzed
3. purpose of the JA (not to “revise / update” the PD, but what it will be used for (or potentially used for. That/those purposes will drive the method you used.
4. Method: The method you used (one or more from the text, e.g. FJA, CI, CJAM, etc., or the one your org uses.
5. Sample: SME/ incumbents. Include in your method, the SMEs, survey incumbents. data collection strategy (observation, interview, etc.). Mention the levels of agreement (rwg) and reliability but you don’ need to show all the data.
6. Principal findings: Mainly the Duties (perhaps some representative tasks) and main SKAOs.
limitations and any other issues you encountered, perhaps what you would do
differently next time.
Power Point Presentation: Your PPT presentation must include the informatin above. Plan to take 5 minutes. We will have a few minutes for questions and discussion. Pay close attention to the following:
Steps for preparation of your Job Analysis Report
1) The job to be analyzed.
2) Why your job analysis of this job is important and necessary
3) Purposes of job analysis. (e.g., selection, training, performance appraisal, etc.)
Step 2: Conduct the job analysis.
To conduct the job analysis, you must have:
1) About 30 task statements (with 4 to 5 major categories of tasks – i.e., duties), 10 - 12 core knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the job well (10-12 of each). Tables should be provided.
2) Rating scale development and actual ratings of tasks
3) Rating scale development and actual ratings of KSAOs on frequency and importance from (at least 4-5) survey respondents (SMEs).
4) Create the linkage table based on your judgment as a subject matter expert.
Step 3: Turn in your APA format paper which includes all details of Step 2 (about 7-10 pages, single spaced (excluding tables, figures, and references,).
Your final project paper must include: (This is totally individual work, unless approved for teamwork)
1. Cover page
2. Executive summary (how to write an executive summary)
DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE THE INFORMATION ABOVE HERE AIND IN YOUR PRESENTATION!
a. The job to be analyzed.
b. Why your job analysis on this job is important and necessary?
c. Purpose of job analysis. (e.g., selection, training, performance appraisal, etc. - (to be determined by organization)
d. Duties and tasks (Table 1 should be provided)
e. KSAOs (Table 2 should be provided)
f. Linkage analysis (Table 3 should be provided)
i. Rating scales for tasks (Table, if necessary)
ii. Rating scales for KSAOs (Table, if necessary)
a. Descriptives (i.e., Means, SDs, N)
b. Correlations (Table)
c. Reliabilities (Table) ICC and or Rwg
a. Key findings
b. Implications for HR system (selection, training, performance appraisal, etc.)
d. Future directions