University of Baltimore
Merrick School of Business
Assignment 2: TCP/IP information from a PC
From a PC running Windows 2000 at the UB CIS lab, at home, or office:
- find the IP address, FQDN, subnet mask and default gateway for the machine (use IPConfig to obtain this information).
- can you use a graphical tool to obtain the above information at the UB CIS Labs? Explain why you can or cannot.
- to what class does the IP address you found belong to (A,B or C)? Explain.
- find the MAC address of the machine and explain the difference between MAC and IP addresses.
- ping the gateway and home.ubalt.edu to test if there is TCP/IP connection. Capture the results (Note: to copy from DOS or Windows console to an Windows application click on the MSDOS symbol in the left-most top-most area of the console and select edit, mark. Move your mouse and highlight the selection. Click again on the MSDOS symbol and select edit, copy. Then paste in Windows).
- When you are done read these instructions on how to submit your assignment (A2).
This page is maintained by Al Bento who can be reached at abento@Uubalt.edu
This page was last updated on August 20, 2004. Although we will attempt to keep this information accurate, we can not guarantee the accuracy of the information provided.