Wireless Scanning and Enumeration
Packet-Capture and Analysis
- Review of sniffing: FAQ, tools, concept.
- Linux support not covered (too technical)
- Ethereal is a good tool in Linux, we used in Hacking Linux.
- Windows: OmniPeek
- requires custom driver, commercial but can download demo
- channel scanning, decryption of WEP (needs key)
- provides a Peer Map view of hosts found
What you are looking for
- SSID -- APs respond to a client ANY SSID with their SSID, and you are in if no username and password required.
- MAC access control - OmniPeek maps MAC addresses
- WEP - war-drive tools indicate if used (e.g. NetStumbler).