University of Baltimore
Merrick School of Business
Assignment 2: costing a simple LAN
How much would cost to network 20 PCs using two switches (assume they are in acceptable distance) in terms of NICs, switches, wiring, etc? Do not include software, but use 10/100 Base-T Ethernet hardware to do it. Your have four tasks to perform in order to do the assignment:
- Do a basic materials list: You will need two switches, cabling, and NICs.
- Look for prices for your configuration and complete the materials list with price, supplier and model. You may use C|Net Reviews, C|Net Shopper and CDW for sources of materials and prices. You can also check PC Connection and BestBuy.
- Use Microsoft Visio to create a graphical representation of your network. You can download a free version of Microsoft Visio as a student in this course. See how to do it here.
You can save your Visio file as a gif,png, or jpg from MS Visio to include in your Web page. If you never converted an image to the Web you may be interested in reading my tutorial related to Images.
- Finally, create a Web page including a description of the network, the materials list (as a table) and the image of the network you created. If you never have done so read my Essential HTML tutorial.
- When you are done post the page URL (address) in Assignments area of SAKAI, Assignment 2.
This page is maintained by Al Bento who can be reached at email@example.com
This page was last updated on August 28, 2014. Although we will attempt to keep this information accurate, we can not guarantee the accuracy of the information provided.