Industrial & Organizational Psychology PSYC 320.001 3 credit hours
Tom Mitchell, Ph.D.
Phone: (410) 837-5348
Class meets: Mondays 2:00- 4:30 PM
Classroom: Business Center, Room 307
Office: Learning Commons, Room 411
Office Hours: Mondays and Wednesdays 12:30- 1:30 PM
· Discuss theory and empirical research relevant to application of psychology in a work context.
· Demonstrate understanding and utilization of research results to areas such as personnel selection, performance evaluation, motivation, and occupational health.
· Demonstrate critical thinking and writing/presentation skills regarding the psychology of leadership, training, and job analysis.
· Demonstrate understanding of assessment tools used to select employees and to evaluate their performance in organizations.
· Identify employees’ attitudes and behaviors that contribute to the growth of an organization.
· Demonstrate understanding of organizational structure and climate.
· Discuss their own work experiences and applied issues that relate to the topics at hand.
Muchinsky, P. M. (2016), Psychology Applied to Work. 11th ed. Hypergraphic Press ISBN: 9780974934525 or 10th edition ISBN: 10: 0578076926
Other readings as assigned:
1. Demonstration of an understanding
of assigned readings;
2. Successful completion of three exams
3. Project: Application of I/O principles and techniques to a job
4. Responses to Chapter Discussion Questions
5. Presentation of Project to class
Grade determination: Three exams (60%) + Job Report (20%) + Class Participation (20%) = 100%
PSYC 320 Grade Calculator
Lletter grades for final grade A, B+, B, C+, C, F
September 4 ***** Labor Day Holiday ****
Week 2: September 11 Chapter 2 Research Methods in I/O Psychology p 26 Discussion Questions
****** Due: Job for class
project: please post to SAKAI the job you propose to study *****
Difference between I/O and HR Practitioner (TIP, July, 2000 by Lori Foster)
Week 5: October 2 *** Exam #1 *** Chapters 1-4
Week 7: October 16 Chapter 6 Organizational Learning p 176 Discussion Questions
Week 8: October 23 Chapter 7 Performance Management p 207 Discussion Questions
Week 10: November 6 *** Exam #2 *** (chapters 5-8)
Week 11: November 13 Chapter 9 Teams and Teamwork p 272 Discussion Questions
***** Last day to submit optional DRAFT Report for your job project ******
Week 12: November 20 Chapter 10 Organizational Attitudes and Behavior p 301 Discussion Questions
Complete the JSS for a job you have had, score it
and bring the completed form to class.
(use the MS Word version, not the online one)
Description of several Job Satisfaction Scales
Week 13: November 27 Chapter 12 Work Motivation p 364 Discussion Questions
*****Final Report due for Job Project ******
BACK TO TOP